Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Charlie Brown Farms

Favorite Pit Stops




There are freeway people and there are non-freeway people.  I am unequivocally a non-freeway driver.  I don't care if it tacks another one or two hours on to my driving time.  I drive the back roads.  I also drive Miss Garmin crazy.  Why I even plug her in, is beyond me.  Re-calculating.  Re-calculating.  She sounds like a broken record.  I swear there is a sigh of relief in her prerecorded voice as she says, "Arriving at destination."

On the other hand, I never would have discovered Charlie Brown Farms if I had followed the Interstates and U.S. Highways like my GPS wanted.   We've been stopping at Charlie Browns for 20 years now, whenever we head east.  It's located in Littlerock, in the Antelope Valley, along a stop and go state highway.   Last week, my travel buddy and I took a trip to Death Valley and Charlie Brown's was our first order of business.  It's a great place to stock up on road trip junk food and stock up we did.  Beef jerky.  Iced tea.  Brazil nuts.  I picked up a bag of chocolate covered Angry Birds, but my better judgment got the upper hand, so I put it back.  I'm embarrassed to say how much we spent here.  This store gets the award for the Most Junk That No One Needs (but everybody buys!).  Even the giant dinosaurs in the back parking lot were for sale.
Out of curiosity, I asked the sales associate at the register how much the pterodactyl was.   She picked up a microphone.  "Can I get a price check on the dinosaurs."  Her voice carried throughout the store and into the next state.  I turned bright red, waited a few minutes and promptly left.  My travel buddy came out to the car with his hamburger order about ten minutes later.  "You're never going to believe this," he said, "But I just heard some crazy lady wants to buy one of those dinosaurs."

"How's the burger?" I asked.





No comments:

Post a Comment