Monday, October 1, 2012

A Stroll Down Newport Ave.

Last week I met my brother and sister-in-law in San Diego.  Being from Kansas City, they couldn't get enough of the beach and Ocean Beach is the quintessential surf town.  We had ceviche tacos and beer before strolling down Newport to buy shorts and tees.

"Doesn't anyone work around here?" my brother commented.  After all, it was Monday and the street was filled with surfers carrying boards and people sitting outside the restaurants talking, texting and well, just enjoying the blue sky and bright sun.

"Surfing's a way of life down here," I said.  "People make it happen."
There were loads of second-hand shops, filled with all kinds of stuff that Mimi went ape over.  The vintage clothes and newer surf brands caught her attention, but what she really wanted were the Audrey Hepburn dresses and Marie Antoinette shoes.

She got down right pissy when I refused to plunk down $148 for a black hat.  Fortunately, her colleagues spoke up.

"Dude, it's a beach town!"

She settled for a canvas backpack and a new pair of flip flops.  We put Her Highness back in the van and then had another beer.

"I could get used to this," my brother said.

No comments:

Post a Comment