Thursday, August 30, 2012

Bubblegum Alley





My travel buddy refused to go with me.  "That's beyond gross," he said.  "You're on your own."    So off I went to San Luis Obispo to see this gorgeous, gooey, smelly, disgusting, fascinating concoction of gum graffiti.  I was blown away!  Two walls of a narrow alley in downtown SLO are covered in wads of bubblegum--the more colorful and the more fruity the better.  I got a strong whiff of apple and watermelon as I walked through this artistic installation.

The local population has mixed opinions about this place.  After all, it's right smack dab in the middle of charming Higuera Street.  (The 700 block)   The walls have been cleaned a few times, but within a month, the wads of gum are back.  The town has finally given up.  Crazy tourists like me show up and then go have a cup of coffee and a bite to eat.  It's not bad for business.

 SLO is fast becoming one of my favorite cities in California.  Bubblegum Alley is worth a detour if you're traveling up the 101.  It's a spontaneous collaboration of creativity among amateurs and professionals alike. Be sure to chew a gumball or two.   Defacing a wall has never been so fun!



















No comments:

Post a Comment